Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Stitchin' and Complainin' - Pet Peeve # 9

This is the second in my series of my top ten crochet pet peeves. See what ranks # 10 on my list in last month's blog post that shows what ranks #10 on my crochet pet peeve list.

And like I addressed in my last post, I don't want to turn anyone away from crocheting ... I do love the craft, but there are those moments when the frustration outweighs the joy ... but, alas one must work through it. So here is ....

Pet Peeve # 9: Unraveling That Work....



Okay, this isn't so much of a "can't help it" kind of crochet frustration that one might just happen to run across ... it's more of a frustration at myself.

How many of you out there, with hook in hand, stitch count in your head ... thought you were going along fine ... until .... You discover that at some point along the way you've messed up your stitch count. and then comes the time of questioning ... How many rows back did I mess up? If you're one of the lucky ones, you can look at your work and know just how far back to go ... or you discover that the miscount is only on the row you've just completed and you only need to unravel one row back. But what about those times you can't quite figure it out? How many rows do you need to unravel? What if it's a continuous round pattern and you just refused to use a stitch marker (really I do this, I tell myself that I'll have no problem keeping track of the stitch and row count in my head or by making tick marks on a piece of paper) and then the phone rings or someone walks in the room and talks to you ... and the count is gone, sending you almost all the way back to the beginning of the project.

Now okay, I know it's my fault. I could keep a better stitch count as I work each row ... I could use stitch markers when instructed to do so ... I could pay better attention to the pattern ... I could ... I could ... I could! But I often don't, lesson NOT learnt. The hours I lament over spent working on a project, only to unravel. I know I need not feel sorry for myself, lament the wasted hours, throw my hook and yarn down in frustration, give up because I had so much done and don't want to start over again. I know there is no pity to be given myself ... but alas I still do as I want to shed a tear for every stitch I must unravel!

See my Pet Peeve # 10 - Standard Hook Sizes???!
See my Pet Peeve # 8 - Finishing a ball of yarn with just a few stitches left to go!
See my Pet Peeve # 7 - different stitch names!!!
See my Pet Peeve # 6 - Not Enough of a Dye Lot!
See my Pet Peeve # 5 - Dye Lots? Why?!?
See my Pet Peeve # 4 - Not Enough Time.
See my Pet Peeve # 3 - Knotted or Discolored Yarn
See my Pet Peeve # 2: Unclear Pattern Instruction
See my Pet Peeve # 1 - Discontinued Yarn

No comments:

Post a Comment