Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Let's All Join Together

Join your yarn seamlessly, with no ends to work in!!!!!


What happens when you get part way through a project and you run out of yarn? I'm sure this has happened to all of us. Do you tear apart your work to join in at the beginning of the row? Do you tie your new yarn onto your project yarn with a knot (this may seem like the easiest and most secure thing to do, but it definitely doesn't leave a nice finished stitch)? Do you lament and wish you would have just bought a jumbo size ball of yarn and saved yourself the trouble of all this joining in and working in extra ends?

I know, for me, I used to like to use the "loose join" method. I'm not really sure if this is the technical name for it, but it is what I like to call it. I like this method, because you can choose the exact stitch that you want to join in your new yarn and there are no knots (and it is still very secure).

Click through the slideshow to see what I mean by "loose join" method.





But there is a better way. Even though I've never had any problems with a project pulling loose with the above method of joining, sometimes I think and worry that with no knots, could it really be secure?!?

Then someone I knew taught me this method:

The Russian Joining Method!!!!

It truly doesn't have any knots, and best of all NO ENDS to work in. You basically sew together the yarn you're working with and the new yarn to be joined in:




I really like this method, it is a bit tedious and time consuming, but you get a nice secure join that's easy to work with.

In the slideshow below, I demonstrate the Russian Joining Method using two different colors of yarn to make the visual demonstration a little easier. Please note that this method is not meant to be used to join in new colors, it is meant for having to join a new ball of the same color. (Although, I have played around a bit and found a way to be more accurate about which stitch the join will end up being used for ... so I'm tempted to try this method out and play around with it for changing colors - if I get it to work it may be a post one day).




I found this joining method to work with any weight of thread or yarn that is used, it does seem a little tedious but once you've done it a few times it really is the way I prefer.

I have included a sample of a swatch worked with different weights of thread / yarn when the Russian Joining Method has been used.




One problem I did encounter with this joining method as opposed to the "loose joining" method is that it was much harder to be accurate about where in the project the joined yarn area would end up. I found when the join was worked in an area of chain stitches, I didn't really like the way the chain looked with the joined section of yarn. I found it a little too bulky and noticeable. So I played around a little and found a really good way to be a little more accurate in choosing which stitch would be worked with the joined section.





Now it truly is my favorite way to join in a new ball of yarn. And as I mentioned above I'm going to play around in some future project to see if I can accurately use this method to even change colors mid-project. I'll let you know!!!

What's your favorite or most used method to join your yarn?

No comments:

Post a Comment