Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Must Have Patterns: Keyhole Scarf by kalliedesigns


Featured etsy shop: kalliedesigns


Often when I browsing through Etsy or Craftsy, I see so many patterns for sale that are truly beautiful designs. I often by-pass them, thinking maybe "one day." It seems that I'm working on so many of my own designs that  I never get to those really great patterns that so many others put their heart into creating.

But when I saw this design on Etsy, I just couldn't resist. Something about the vintage feel and simplicity of the design really captured my attention. And upon checking out kalliedesigns.etsy.com and viewing the other patterns listed in this shop, I just knew I wanted to feature not only this pattern on my blog, but the entire shop. If you love vintage styles, I really encourage you to check it out.




Click here to visit kalliedesigns.etsy.com to view the entire shop.

This photo is taken from kalliedesigns.etsy.com
To purchase a PDF downloadable copy of this pattern,
click on the photo above to be redirected to the kalliedesigns.

As soon as I purchased the pattern, I couldn't wait to get started. You know those designs you're so excited to try out you don't even make it to the craft store to get yarn. I had an ample amount of yarn left over from some pillows I had just designed, I loved the colors and got started right away.



The design is so quick and easy that I had my first version of the scarf done in one evening. I made it exactly to pattern specifications, with only one change (I added a row of slip stitches to the rose).


Here is the first of the scarves that I created from this beautifully designed pattern.





I truly did love the outcome of this scarf, but it wasn't quite right. It didn't quite capture the style that I saw in the photos of this design on kalliedesigns.etsy.com. I wanted to try again.

In my next scarf I made from this pattern, I went back to the original colors of my pillow creations (I really do love the colors) and decided to try something different. I followed the pattern instructions using two strands of yarn and a larger crochet hook. Instead of one rose, I made four roses by dividing the number of stitches from the pattern in half. I loved the thicker design of the scarf, but didn't like the way I combined the colors:




I couldn't stop there (I really did like this design, and it was very quick and easy to make). I had purchased some wool/acrylic blend yarn - chunky size, that I had in mind for one of my own designs,


I put my own design ideas aside (I could always get more of this yarn on my next trip to the store - and I really wanted to make another one of these keyhole scarves right away), and went ahead with another scarf. I used this Bernat Roving Chunky weight yarn with the same size hook suggested in the pattern; but since I already had 2 scarves that looked very similar, I did want to change up the style just a bit. 

I alternated between the cream and gray for the main part of the pattern, changing colors every second row. I used the plum for the trim, and for a little bit of a different take on the flower I created a large "loop stitch" flower.

I left all the "tails" from changing colors to the end to be worked in, but when I saw the look of the scarf I decided to leave them for a "fringe."






This last one turned out beautifully, however, since my eldest daughter claimed it for her own, I won't get to enjoy it anyways.

I highly recommend the designs from kalliedesigns. The shop owner (as I has contacted her a few times via the "Contact Shop Owner" link on her shop), Rebecca, was quick to respond and seemed like a genuinely lovely lady.

I love being able to take a pattern and add my own twists and touches to it. The style was simplistic enough in design that I could make several of the scarves and change them up enough to have a different look each time, or follow the pattern instructions exactly and get a beautiful outcome every time.

And just to assure all who are reading, I have no affiliation with the owner/shop that I purchased this pattern from. I fell in love with the pattern and really liked the other vintage style patterns she has to offer in her etsy shop.

Here's a few of the other patterns on kalliedesigns.etsy.com that are going on my list of designs to try:

Instant Download Womens Crochet Hat Pattern Spiral Rib With Double Flower Trim  Easy To Make  Womens Crochet Headband Pattern With Double Flower Trim ePattern PDF Resell Finished Crochet Pattern Pleated Crocheted Shoulder Bag ePattern PDF Easy To Make May Resell FinishedCrochet Scarf Pattern With Bead Trim Easy To Make Instant Download May Resell finished



No comments:

Post a Comment